Menu

Solitaire 101 - Fastest Times

by 57 Feral Cats » 2012-01-13 10:08:14 #5132

In addition to seeking Lowest Moves, the other aspect of competition on Solitaire Craving is for Fastest Times. Most newcomers to the website are shocked at the speeds with which players can finish a game! In November of 2011, a couple of players posed the question about speed (which many of us have had) and others gave interesting input on the subject. Their comments can be found below.

Game #2041 - November 15, 2011

Shanda - Hi! I haven't posted a comment before - pretty new to solitaire but enjoy the daily games. Here's my question - how the heck can you all solve so quickly? LOL, even if I make every correct move, I can't possibly click fast enough to be under 2 minutes. Am I playing too many down? Just curious. smile

Mom - Hi Shanda, glad you're talking !!!! Most of the really low times are received when a player has practiced doing the game many, many times. You sort of memorize it, so there's no time wasted in between moves.

Game #2046 - November 20, 2011

PatLogan100 - How can these people possibly do this game in 69 seconds - that's less than 1/2 a second per card move? Is there a program they are inputting the moves, and the computer is doing all the work for them? The human hand cannot move a mouse that fast!

Magic Margaret - No computer program, but it does take a fast browser and mouse finger.

Game #2047 - November 21, 2011

DECarn - I would just like to say a word to those who think that the players who get under a minute in speed are cheating with a computer program... I have in the past gotten below a minute, and I do not have the fastest computer. I use Firefox and it's just a matter of memorizing what comes next and fast clicking...This game is fun and the people here are fun. I don't think most of us think of cheating, after all...it's just a game!!

Lynne C - Cheating on this game is, I am sure, possible, but the SC people who post on this wall would not do it. This is a game, not your taxes!!

PatLogan100 - Good Morning, DECarn: I apologize if I gave the impression that using a software program was cheating... in fact if you WERE using such a program, I would like to get a copy too! I too am using FireFox, on a Dell quad, with a "backbone" connection to the internet, and I can't come close to making mouse clicks, drag-n-drops, etc. that average 1/2 a second across 130+ moves. In fact, as an IT Director of 46+ years, who types over 120 words a minute, my hat is off to you if you can do that!

Joekayak - When I used to play for time as well as low moves, it was a matter of memorization and repetition. I also use firefox as my browser but I use a thumbball mouse. I could never click and drag as fast as I can click and roll my thumb. I was rather consistently in the top 8 in terms of time. Also, it should be pointed out that the time stops not at the end of the 130 (or so) moves but as soon as the last unexposed card is exposed. So, in some games, there can be like only 100 moves made and then everything is exposed-time stops-and the cards play themselves up. So that average of 1/2 second (.50 sec/move) per move to get to 65 seconds for a 130 move game is a little low. I suspect that I could do about .60 to .70 seconds per move and then the cards would all be exposed. Also, the low time can be attained during any game using any number of moves. A 130 low move game might go quite a bit faster if one made 133 moves (like bringing down a king that otherwise plays up) instead of 130 moves.

David O - My best is 44 seconds. You just have to get a game that has short, sweet moves and like Decarn says: you memorize the moves because you don't have time to think! Also, I use a trackball and not a mouse. I can't imagine breaking a minute with a mouse.

ScooterE. - I'm amazed at those that finish a game as low as the 40 second range, however, I never considered that anyone was cheating, just really good.... what would be the point in that????

David O - Low moves are almost NEVER fastest. The computer puts up cards faster than a human can. The fastest games are when you have the fewest cards up when the last card is exposed. (I have approached 3 moves a second on my best days.)

57 Feral Cats - Patrick, I'm not playing today but let me add my two cents on the speed issue. Have you practiced simply clicking through ten cards, for example? Do that and see what your time is. Restart the game and practice that to see if you can get your time down on just those ten cards. Then, in an actual game, one way to pick up time is memorizing the moves (as has been said) but also knowing the intervals between moving cards from the deck, so that when you have to pass eight cards before the next move, you can click through them quickly. Since I don't have a great memory, truth be known, I write down the intervals of cards that have to be passed in the deck before making each move. "Go two cards, play the Ace over. Then five cards to play a card down, etc." You have to know the other moves that need to be made down below as you go along (cards moving from pile to pile or up to the Ace piles). When I have time, that's what I have to do to get a faster speed. Even after writing the intervals, I still play the game over and over until I reach a plateau and know I can't go any faster. When I first started playing Solitaire on this website, I too, was blown away by the speed ("faster than I can think" was what came to mind!), I used to wonder how the fastest speeds were even possible. So if I can get below 1:20 or so, lots of you out there can, too! smile

MagicMargaret - I think the lowest I've done is 48 seconds. I use a mouse and Google Chrome. And, yes, the computer can moves the cards much faster than I can, so lowest moves is not usually the fastest time.

DECarn - Oh boy do I feel like a big trouble maker!! I was just defending those quick finger players like Magic Margaret and the others that are always under 1 minute. But sorry, didn't mean to put a sour note here!!! And would you look at Layla's moves today!!!

bigone4u - If I thought there was a program to make my fingers move faster and MORE ACCURATELY, I suspect I might give it a try...but than if it worked, all victory would be lost for there is always someone richer, smarter, faster, better looking, nicer, kinder and the list goes on...so I struggle to keep up the push for excellence and the art of self mastery.

Donnamusica - I am never fast and sure wish I was. But when I want to get better speed at all...which is always well over 1 minute... I play it not for low moves. For example, if you have to play over a king at the end, I just bring it down to get better speed. I do that after I have gotten the lowest moves I want and know the game well. I think it was nice we all discussed the issue...new members must always wonder about these things and it's good everyone explains how things work and the best way to get good results. smile

gamer13 - I am happy to finish games below 3 minutes. Yesterday's game I could not even repeat. So I am happy being an F player for now. But even with my high moves and times, I enjoy this site tremendously and am very thankful for everybody's clues. I play the game every day and I am enjoying it a lot. Happy Sunday to everybody!!

by alex&max » 2012-07-24 07:10:45 #7278

Thanks Susan.

by #1Grndma » 2012-01-30 18:59:39 #7279

I certainly enjoyed all the above comments. Many times I have wondered how so many can achieve a win under a minute. Even when I play the game many times, and realaize I can remember certains cards and where they play, my computer is old and doesn't cooperate very well, so getting under 3 min, is a great win for me. Thanks for sharing though.

by kenright » 2012-04-12 14:45:22 #7280

Thank you for these comments. I am also trying to increase the speed of my play. I have been playing solitaire in one form or other for over 60 years. But now, being 83 the reactions are slowed down and also the mouse finger is not as fast. If I get under 3 minutes I am comtent. Kenright

by joekayak » 2012-06-22 17:38:09 #7281

Scoring system?? If you look at your profile, you will see 34 games listed. Your score is roughly the sum of your scores for the past 33 games. The game that is being played today (#2262) will not be added until the next new game (#2263) appears. But in the meantime, the oldest game-#2228 will drop off. Using Eastern USA Time zones

by blondebikergirl » 2012-08-13 16:51:23 #7282

I'm impressed when I'm able to actually complete one.....I might be a rock but at least I'm a soft rock.

by 57 Feral Cats » 2013-09-26 12:23:17 #7283

James, here is the conversation we had about speed almost two years ago. smile

by harleyman » 2013-10-01 09:27:52 #7284

Susan and the rest, I have adopted Susan's writing down the number of intervals between cards, moves, and the like. I also play different after reaching low moves. That is to improve on time, like Donna said, maybe a king plays over and I bring it down just for speed.

by claudine » 2013-12-15 17:21:22 #7285

Well,I am so dumb, clues do not help me one little bit.I guess I am just pigheaded,and have to do it on my own.I love reading what everyone has to say.I bet we have a doozy tomorrow.I will almost be afraid to look.